This dish is reminiscent of chicken á la king, an all-time favorite in warming, elegant food.
2 pounds (908g) chicken breast, skinned and boned
6 tbsp. butter
2 cups (474ml) chicken broth
1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
2 stalks celery, washed and finely sliced
1 medium shallot, diced
1 small red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
1 small red chili, seeded and finely chopped
12 ounces (340g) fresh button mushrooms, quartered
1½ cups (355ml) heavy cream
2 tsp. xanthan gum
½ tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
Salt and pepper to season
- Melt 2 tbsp. butter in a large skillet (with lid) over a medium high heat.
- Add the chicken breast and sauté until brown on all sides.
- Pour over 1 cup (237ml) of chicken broth and cover the skillet.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 – 20 minutes until cooked through. Cook for a little longer if necessary.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- Pour off the cooking liquid and set aside.
- When the chicken is cool, chop into bite sized pieces.
- Place the rest of the butter in a large clean skillet and heat over a medium high heat.
- Sauté the carrot, celery, shallot and red bell pepper and the chili until tender.
- Add the mushrooms and continue to sauté until the mushrooms turn a golden brown.
- Stir in the remaining broth, the cooking liquid from the chicken and the cream.
- Bring up to the boil and stir in the xanthan gum.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the cooked chicken and allow the dish to heat through completely before serve.
- Serve sprinkled with chopped parsley.
Nutritional Facts per serve: Calories 311, Fat 20.3g, Carbohydrate 5.0g, Dietary Fiber 1.9g, Net Carbs 3.1g, Protein 27.5g