No bun, instead a delicious mushroom, but nevertheless a burger! Enjoy the juicy goodness topped with an additional slice of cheese, onion rings and crisp lettuce. A sugar free tomato sauce is also a welcome addition.
2 pounds (908g) ground beef, not extra lean
4 ounces (113g) bacon, ground
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
1 large onion, finely diced
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. dried parsley
2 ounces (57g) Cheddar cheese, cut into 8 cubes
4 tbsp. olive oil
12 large portobello mushroom caps
Salt and pepper to season
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over a medium high heat.
- Sautee the onion and garlic until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the onion from the heat and cool a little.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground meats, soy sauce, parsley, salt and pepper and the onions.
- Divide the meat mixture into 6 even serves and flatten each to form a burger.
- Press a cube of cheese into the center of each burger and seal it inside by pressing the meat mixture around it.
- Reform the burger patty if necessary.
- Heat the remaining oil in a clean skillet and fry the burger patties on both sides until nicely browned and cooked through.
- When cooked, drain on a paper towel. Keep warm.
- Sauté the mushrooms in the same skillet for a couple of minutes until tender.
- Sandwich each patty inside two mushroom halves.
- Serve whilst still warm with green vegetables of your choice or just as they are topped with extra cheese and onion.
Nutritional Facts per serve: Calories 571, Fat 42.8g, Carbohydrate 10.2g, Dietary Fiber 2.7g, Net Carbs 7.5g, Protein 39.6g