These little burgers are baked in the oven and are very easy to make. Use fresh salmon or really well drained tinned salmon, (or even tuna). Serve with some mayonnaise flavored with a little wasabi paste and some slices of avocado.
1½ pounds (681g) fresh salmon fillet
1 cup (237ml) unsweetened almond milk to poach the salmon
1 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. light soy sauce
3 green onions, minced
½ inch (1.3cm) fresh green ginger, grated
½ tsp. wasabi paste
2 fresh eggs, beaten
3 tbsp. coconut flour
Salt and pepper to season
- Heat the milk and the butter in a skillet large enough to hold the salmon, over a medium high heat.
- Cut the salmon into chunks and add it to the hot milk and butter.
- Simmer the fish in the milk for 10 – 15 minutes until it flakes easily. Do not overcook.
- Remove the fish from the heat and take it out of the milk. Drain and leave to cool.
- When cool, flake the salmon, removing any skin and bones.
- Place the flakes in a medium sized bowl.
- Mix together the soy sauce, green onion, ginger, and wasabi paste and fork it through the salmon.
- Mix in the beaten eggs.
- Season to taste.
- Mix in the coconut flour.
- Form into 12 small patties using slightly damp hands and place them on parchment lined baking tray
- Cover with cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F (204°C).
- Remove the salmon cakes from the fridge and place in the hot oven.
- Cook for 12 – 15 minutes until heated completely through.
Nutritional Facts per serve: Calories 260, Fat 15.8g, Carbohydrate 4.6g Dietary Fiber 1.7g, Net Carbs 2.9g, Protein 24.6g